Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Time to make time....

Well this has been a rough couple of days for me. I received a letter from my 1st grade teacher yesterday.... unfortunately she does not remember me... old age plays nasty tricks on people and how hurt and sad I was when she questioned who I was in the short note she wrote. I have always kept in touch with Mrs. Z....sending Christmas cards each year and trying to wrote at least 1 other time during the year. The only reply I ever get is a letter sometimes after Christmas so I was thrilled to see her name on the return label. Only to open the letter and be saddened to the point of tears. David totally did not understand and thought I was over reacting. How could he know how I felt. I mean this is a woman I idolized my entire life. She was an awesome teacher and wonderful woman in many ways. She is the reason I wanted to teach my entire life. Now she does not know who I am or how much she means to me. Does she know what an impact she had on me? I do not know but I am in the process of writing her a letter and I will indeed tell her how much she means to me and always has!

So after all of that I decided to try to reconnect with some old friends that I had lost touch with. Only to find that one of them was killed in a bad car accident 2 years ago! She was only 39 and we shared a special friendship, one most people did not understand. She was married to my ex husband and through parenting of my then stepsons we became friends. The bond we had because of the shared parenting was a unique one and one people often frowned upon since I was married to her ex husband at the time. It worked for us and it kept things stable for the boys so that is what mattered. We remained friends even after my ex and I divorced only to lose touch a few years ago. Finding out about her death and at such a young age was obviously disturbing and sad but it was almost surreal for me. Makes you step back and look at life hard. I will me you Kim but know you are in better hands now.

There is a silver lining to this horrible dark cloud .... because of these 2 sad events it made me more determined to find a dear old friend, Laura... I am happy to say I spent nearly 2 hours talking with her on the phone and reconnecting! So happy to have found her healthy and well.

So this year of 2010 my goal will be to reconnect with those I have lost touch with, make more time to spend with dear friends, and to spend more time with my family making memories!